How You Can Give

You can give in memory of Carter Dang by clicking here.
You can give in honor of Katie Griffin by clicking here.

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Week One in the Books

[Mark...]
Week one is done! Shannon and I ran 21 miles this week. That is more in one week than I have run in total my whole life. That means we only have 579 more to go. We may be smiling in the picture after our 7 mile run, but I assure you we weren't that happy. I was happy to be finished and happy to be done running for the week, but my body hurt all over. I keep wondering why people do this running thing for "fun." I just keep reminding myself that I am running for a purpose. Any pain or discomfort I experience cannot compare to the emotional pain parents endure as they watch their children battle against cancer. I just keep thinking to put one leg in front of the other. Week 2 begins tomorrow. Only 18 more weeks to go!



Smile! 7 mile long run is done!!


...how we really felt...

[Shannon...]
Week One: In a word...HOT! In two words...HOT and HUMID! Thankfully, Mark and I are able to get our runs in before the sun is up in all it's hot, blazing glory. Running in the summer here in Arkansas is no joke! I can't even imagine trying to run any later than 7 am right now...it just wouldn't be happening. Getting up at 5 or 5:15 am is a pretty big accomplishment for these two people who love their sleep...getting up at 5 or 5:15 to run, is an even bigger accomplishment (because we all know how much Mark LOVES to run).

With this being our first week of really running this summer, it took me a couple of days to figure out my best strategy. By strategy, I mean what fluids to take with me, which fluids to have waiting for me at the end of the run, how to carry the fluids I run with, etc. I run with this belt around my waist called a "Flip Belt." Best running accessory ever! It's basically this circular pocket made of dry fit material that can carry my phone, keys, Rehydrate Gel, and I can fit a 10 ounce water bottle at the small of my back so I can easily get a drink while I run. It's not bulky, or cumbersome, and it doesn't shift or rub. It's so awesome, my husband wanted one, too :) Learning the hard way that I don't run well in the heat, I am so glad I figured out early how to optimize it's use...because driving around town dropping water bottles and Rehydrate in strategic spots just isn't going to happen before 5 am. Tomorrow begins week two...we will be running a total of 24 miles and I can hardly wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment