How You Can Give

You can give in memory of Carter Dang by clicking here.
You can give in honor of Katie Griffin by clicking here.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

My Downfall

Mark:

Well, last week marked the beginning my downfall. I was excited to run. Wow! Did I just say that? I was excited because we went to get some new shoes that are designed for running. I will spare you all the details, but I couldn't wait to wake up and try out my new digs. Have you ever had a moment you were really looking forward to, and then when you got there you were disappointed? I ran about a mile, and my shins starting killing me. I am not a quitter, but when you can't even walk because your shins hurt so bad, that means your body is trying to tell you something. Mine was screaming, "STOP!" So, I took the shoes back, and they gave me another pair. Oh, the person at the store told me if I continued in the original pair it would have caused a stress fracture. That's never good to hear. I was excited again to run, but I was also a little timid because I did not want to experience that pain again. The run went great early in the week, but as the week progressed the pain came back. Last Friday and Saturday I tried to run, but the pain was so intense I could only go for about a mile. Let me remind you that a marathon is 26.2 miles. How am I supposed to run 26.2 when I can't even go one mile right now?

So, I did the intelligent thing and started researching on the internet because everything on the internet is true...haha. I discovered, much to my disappointment, that I was developing shin splints. I learned that I broke the rule of the three too's...too much, too soon, too fast. I think I broke all three of those. I have been icing my shins and calves every night this week. Let me just say that icing your shins is kinda weird. I also read that stretching as much as possible is good to do. Tomorrow marks a new day. I am going to try to run a couple of miles and see how I feel. Keep your fingers crossed, and let's hope that I can get back on track.

Shannon:

I guess you could say I had a bit of a downfall as well. I am the more "experienced" runner between the two of us...however, I started getting sick about the middle of our first week of training. Being the diligent runner I am, determined to check off every box of our coaching app (I might be just a little OCD about stuff like that), I continued to run while sick. I noticed my miles getting slower as opposed to faster. I was also noticing my stamina wasn't what it had been. I know I can run 13.1 miles without stopping...I've done it before, and that wasn't too long ago. So to say I was getting frustrated is just a bit of an understatement. As much as I didn't want to, I took a break starting last Wednesday. Slept in a little, hydrated myself well, and started taking an antihistamine...because running with fluid in your ears apparently causes serious balance issues. I was also in Dallas for the weekend at an AdvoCare conference (because you know, we are totally fueled by AdvoCare and powered by Spark in our house ;-) ) and didn't want to even attempt running in the fabulous Dallas heat. We are talking 85 degrees and 1000% humidity at 5 am! I am back on track now. I can finally take a full breath and push it out to get me through the "burn" I typically feel all through mile 3. I ran 4 miles yesterday and I'm getting ready to run 4 miles this evening, gearing up for our 6.2 long run on Saturday.

Although we have had a bit of a "Downfall" in our training, I am still proud of where we are. We may not be logging every mile on our training app, but we are still making PROGRESS :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment